Thursday, October 25, 2007

THE RED ROOSTER



Juan Balandrán!

What a name! I'd kill for a name like that, seriously. It has great character, I'd dare say an epic ring to it. It reminds me of those larger than life, mythical Mexican Charros from the golden age of " El Cine Mexicano", the kind of bohemian Charro who hangs out in seedy bars, picks up dangerous (and desperate) women with nothing to lose, writes and sings break-up songs and can drink an Irishman under the table. Strangely enough, that description pretty much fits Balandrán's personality, plus one more thing: he's also a hell of an accomplished sculptor!

What's really in a name? I don't fucking know but I tell you what I do know, Balandrán is a gentleman and a damn fine artist, we've talked about a collaboration over the years we've known each other, I kept thinking "One of these days he's going to blow me away with one of his masterpieces" Well, he does that on a regular basis, on his blog: Beware The Red Rooster, where you can also read about his many disadventures in the "bowels of Los Angeles" but this time he went above and beyond.

Here's a piece Juan is sculpting for an upcoming gallery show, he based it on one of my doodles, needless to say (but I'll say it anyway) I am both, flattered and honored by this gesture. These photographs of the work in progress are courtesy of "The Red Rooster" himself. Hop over his blog and check his stuff out, you owe it to yourself.


























25 comments:

MATT POTT said...

Now THAT is COOL!!

Gnarfdeath said...

damn! that's badass! great form and shapes!

Keath007 said...

Needless to say it looks amazing.

Pierre F. said...

Wahoo ! Very nice !

COMIKXGUY said...

SWEEEEEEEEEET!

in his studio has one cool sculpture of a chick with some twisted legs

l like!

so, when is his book :)

COMIKXGUY said...

yo! roosters stuff is hot

my fav is camilla

RedRooster said...

aww shucks. Thank you Alberto, your work never ceases to inspire. Thank you all for the kind comments as well, Ill have more updates later this week.
-Red Rooster

Process Junkie said...

Can't wait!

Mick said...

I remeber this fellow. he posted a wee couple of wonders a while back on the drawingboard right? Made from that sculpting wax that never sets... heartily impressive. i really like where he is coming from with those angles.

Juan said...

Great drawing (always you draw a few precious women) and great sculpture. I have many desires of seeing it finished!

COMIKXGUY said...

OH! I KNOW.... HE'S JOINED UP ON SCHOOLISM.COM !

AND A BOOK!

Jörn Gebert said...

You have fantastic figuring-skills. First time here and it's a great blog, amazing and interesting!

Kristen McCabe said...

Wow! WOW! Wow! Incredible!

I'm gonna visit his blog right after I press the publish button!

Bobby Chiu said...

Hey so wtf... when are you going to produce some vinyls for us to buy Alberto?!

Looks super fresh.

spleenal said...

wow!
seeing this in 3 dimensions adds a whole other dimension

Thom Trainor said...

He really nailed this one, Alberto!
I need one of those in my den, to remind me daily what beautiful art - both 2D and 3D - really is!!!!

GOGOPEDRO said...

that is pretty sick.

Dario Reyes said...

No hay dudas de que el trabajo es maravilloso.

Mi unica duda es la siguiente:
El escultor trabajo a partir de esa unica imagen o como hace la mayoria presentaste la imagen de diferentes ángulos?

de ser la ultima opcion la respuesta correcta, la habilidad del escultor es magnifica.

Saludos, desde el fin del mundo (Argentina).

io, Darius.

Process Junkie said...

Dario Reyes the drawing shown is the only reference the sculptor had to go by, there were no turnarounds.

El escultor no tuvo más que un solo dibujo (la imagen mostrada) como referencia.


Thanks for all the comments in behalf of Red Rooster, Juan deserves all the glory, his work is outstanding!

ValentinoElMasFino said...

This is going to be a beautiful piece. I am really happy to see on of your drawings immortalized like this. Your work inspires us all to go out and create.

Good Job to both of you...

-Valentin

IrisOn said...

fantastic!!

Ben Lane said...

Awesome!

BEN said...

I discovered your art time ago and now I must swim in this fantastic blog everytime I can!
Thanks for sharing your work ( I really love the daily monigote )
excuse me for my poor english, I really want to give my congratulations but my english don't allow me to do this..so
COMPLIMENTSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!
YOUR WORK IS AMAZIIIIING!!!
:D

Process Junkie said...

Valentino, el Más Fino, Ben from Rome, Irison: Thank you, Ladies! I just love it when my chicken scratch is interpreted in 3-D by someone other than me, Juan's own style and personality elevates this simple doodle to a higher place.

Ben Lane: Love that Sinatra caricature on your blog (among other things) :)
Thanks for stopping by!

A. Riabovitchev said...

Really AMAZING!:o)