Sunday, September 23, 2007

More of The Same part 2



Process Junk
For me —and this is a disclaimer I feel necessary because what works for me may not work for you and viceversa, there is no definitive way to achieve a particular outcome but there's a rule of thumb here and there— the "trick" lies in rendering the whole thing with the least amount of broad strokes, applying pressure at the beginning or at the end of the stroke, following the form thus creating instant volume. I usually start from dark to light, holding the pencil, as I've said before, like a stick of charcoal, pushing hard and lifting as I glide the pencil.

After a very basic underdrawing I start rendering, making every effort to establish a wide range of values by bearing down and lifting, applying varying degrees of pressure. I don't worry too much about getting it perfect, the main thing is to lay down this "foundation" sort of speak.



Next, I adjust the values by finding the darkest and lightest parts of the figure, this is when I draw the hair and 'frame' the face. Once the darkest values are down the rest of the drawing will seem light by contrast, this helps me figure out where I need to darken.


After experimenting with many different brands, I found the best paper to be used with Col-Erase pencils for this purpose is the 60 lb. Strathmore Sketch 400 series, premium recycled, acid free a few reasons for this: it has a medium tooth, enough to achieve a nice texture, is made of recycled materials so it's not ultra white, this is important for me because once I scan the drawing into Photoshop I can pick up more highlights digitally if need be, using the 'Dodge' tool, it's also reasonably inexpensive, the 100 page 11"x14" sketchbook only costs $6.59.




Col-Erase pencils are not like charcoal, the wax builds up and if you press too hard you'll end up with a "satin" finish and that can make it difficult to obtain the darkest value possible, save the satin finish for certain areas such as the lips, shiny nose or glassy eyes which you could define later by applying short and thin strokes, holding the pencil as if you're writing. The general idea is to retain some of the texture by gradually applying "coats"of pigment.

I finished the sketch by picking up highlights with the eraser and drawing in the fine line details and edges.

Abrazos,
—A

24 comments:

MATT POTT said...

GASP..... SHE'S BEAUTIFUL!!

CEREAL KILLER said...

Muy bueno tio, tiene ese tipo de belleza....como lo diría....antigua?

muy bueno Alberto!

13toon's said...

wow alberto you are killing it she is beautiful and amazing, can't wait to see whats next. bye 4 now

Rich said...

ALWAYS dope

Kristen McCabe said...

YOW-YOW-YOWZAAAAA! She's Gorgeous, Alberto!

Process Junkie said...

Thank you, girls!

DAN-VAN-COOL said...

I Agree with everyone else on here commenting on the works in Progress. I love seeing how other aproach there work flow.
Thanks man!

Dario Reyes said...

Envidia, sana e inspiradora. Eso es lo que me produce ver tus trabajos.
Como dijo un muchacho en un post anterior, ver el proceso de tu trabajo es muy didáctico.

En unas imagenes anteriores ví que, junto a las imagenes, introducís textos explicativos. ¿Estos tienen algún proposito didactico o solo es ilustrativo?.

Me refiero al trabajo de las lineas encadenada, o cuando resaltás la practica en cuanto al dibujo de los ojos.

Genial el blog...

io, Darius.

Andre Moore said...

This is nice yo!

Process Junkie said...

Dario Reyes Los textos explicativos en las imágenes anteriores son notas que escribo para mi mismo, los escribo para recordarme de ciertas cosas fundamentales que suelo olvidar.

Gracias, VanCool & Andre.

COMIKXGUY said...

HEY ALBERTO!

i'm back! fo' real

i was on hiatus due to moving a week after comic-con then settling and reactivating my internet and changing to my new e-mail etc.

so back to bloggin' ... for now :)


boy, i've missed ALOT!!!


.... and MIKE RINGO, DAMN.

i'm shocked too :(

Christian Zamorano Eats 3 Square Meals a Day said...

Do you find that red is the best color to work in?
I've tried alot of col erase colors and red just seems to be the softest of all the colors. To me, black seems the hardest.

Process Junkie said...

Christian Zamorano Eats 3 Square Meals a Day: I believe you're correct, I don't use any other colors than Carmine Red and Blue, I found that the darkest colors are the hardest.

I use Blue when I want to give the drawings a more linear, schematic look, red is always more fleshy and soft.








COMIKXGUY: Welcome back, Scott.

Fundingway_Brandon said...

Wow that is just wow I love art but when i try to draw looks nothing like what it's spouse to....

Process Junkie said...

That's OK, neither this this one. :)

COMIKXGUY said...

THANKX ART PAPI :)

ALSO THANKX FOR THOSE AMAZING BOOKS!

IS ANY OF HOGARTH'S, EISNER'S COMICS AND SEQUENTIAL ART AND HUMAN ANATOMY FOR ARTISTS BY ELIOT GOLDFINGER UP PUBLICLY ?

Process Junkie said...

I despise Hogarth's 'Dynamic' series, I think they're horrible, especially that wretched Dynamic Wrinkles & Drapery, everytime I look at that cover I go Ugggggghhh! Nasty, nasty shit!
Stay away from those mind abortions, anything that has the word 'Dynamic' in the title is pure and unadulterated manure.

I hold Hogarth personally responsible for much of the horse shit found in comics today, as you well know, Hogarth's books are preferred by mediocre comic book artists the world over.

My daughter brought one of 'em Hogarth's things home a few years back and it's been very helpful, I use it as a wedge to level an old tool cabinet in the garage, it is so bad, the termites won't even eat it.

I'm not a big Eisner fan either, I don't care much for storytelling, something I'm told he was a master at. I just don't like his art.

Goldfinger books are good. Perfect for doctors and physical therapists. Give me Brigdman, Bammes, Vanderpoel and Loomis I don't need anything else and neither do you. Besides, Goldfinger books are not in the Public Domain, they're not free.

COMIKXGUY said...

i don't like his anatomy either

why does the whole industry keep spoon-feeding us these books when they know there is way better ones and how did it get that way ?

people like me really want to be shown really how it's done but everytime we ask we're given b.s.

i know why, but it's still b.s.

it seems to me that they're sabotaging themselves, you'd think they would revise the list by now

so if i and others get all the Brigdeman, Bammes, Vanderpoel and Loomis books they will show us everything we need to know but not sequential storytelling, right ?

again thankx alberto i really appreciate it :)

Edwin Rosell said...

What's up Alberto! Great post! I've been trying to track down the Bammes stuff for ages.

Process Junkie said...

COMIKXGUY: Yup! all you need to know is there! all you need to add is a lifetime of constant practice, keen observation, frustration, failure, discovery, enjoyment, lack of sleep, progress, success and more practice.

. . . . Ah, and one more thing: PRACTICE.

That's all, sequential storytelling ? that's easy, once you've mastered anatomy, perspective, background drawing, color theory, painting, writing and graphic design, storytelling will seem like a piece of cake. Did I mention practice? . . . Yeah, that too.

COMIKXGUY said...

"a lifetime of constant practice, keen observation, frustration, failure, discovery, enjoyment, lack of sleep, progress, success and more practice"?

i guess i'm perfect for it because that's what i know

including family, friends, co-workers and bosses stabbing you and your loved ones in the back or just not giving a care and look the other way

as you could attest to my mood last year

i'm better now, kinda
:\
thankx again buddy

Hiro said...

Hi Alberto!

I bough several books from Brandstudio press and I loved them all.

And what surprise to see your autograph in the third page of "Confessions of a Process Junkie"!

You get a regular costumer. From Brazil!

I'm an illustrator too and I wrote a post about your work and the adventure of discovering the Brandstudio press books at http://blog.hiro.art.br
Yeah, in Portuguese, sorry!


Thank you

Process Junkie said...

Thanks, Hiro!
I'm glad you like the books, tell your friends :)

Fabricio said...

Hola, felicitaciones por tu trabajo es muy bueno, yo soy pintor de guayaquil, ecuador y al igual que tu amo a las mujers y ella son mi inspiracion.
Los links de los libros me han servido muchisimo gracias mil gracias. Necesito saber si hay links de donde puedo bajar libros de Bargue gratis, te los agraderia mucho....