Thursday, November 30, 2006

Long Island City Song

One New York Summer Night

I watched you sleep
I let myself be taken
clueless and carefree
at peace at last
reflecting
upon your perfect skin
glowing
upon that perfect road
between your neck
and your shoulder
your body, limp and flawless
reminded me of nothing
and everything I've ever seen
before or after


Naked, motionless, helpless
like a dead bird
a dead puppy
still warm, eyes shut, lips dry
heart pumping
reclining on its right side
as if clinging
to the side of God
the side of calm
of everything and nothing


The curve of your hip projected upward
bent and stretched
at full potential
the arrow left the bow
singing and trembling
towards the ceiling light,
towards the eternal
towards the moon, into the night
and disappearing
in the direction of heaven
with its angels


A mess of fine dark lines,
a revolution
in the shape of a crown
expanding black halo
a slow-burning black sun
agonizing
explodes inside my head
and on my pillow
your face, serene and calm
framed and surrounded
by the mane of black sun rays,
like a painting
of a renaissance virgin
of a martyr
a long-forgotten saint
inside a chapel
in the town of San Miguel
San Juan, San Pablo
by Giotto, Raphael
or Caravaggio


I watch you sleep
peacefully, basking
my elbow firmly rooted
in the mattress
in the glory of your presence
stiff arm bearing
the full weight of my skull
and all its contents
the full weight of my sorrows
with their secrets
with the weight of my thoughts
and my tomorrows
my eyes glued to your chest
to your tiny waist
to the rest
to the formidable arch
of your silhouette
in the space
in a trance
mesmerized
at peace
with myself
...at last

Project Romantic


New York City, November 2006 (from an idea originally drafted in 1983)
Image & Text © Copyright 2006 Alberto Ruiz. All Rights Reserved
Image from the book "Project Romantic" Published by Adhouse Books

10 comments:

Brother 2 the Rooster said...

Brother you write beautifully. I have been there before and you express that imagery perfectly. Keep them coming.

Process Junkie said...

See, that's why I like you, Rooster! you know what I'm talking about, you too have issues, I am not alone. :D

Scott Wright said...

Just plain beautiful!

Stef said...

Hey Alberto! Just popping by to say hello and see how you've been doing?
Hope you're well!

Woka said...

Felicitaciones. Una delicia a la vista, tanto el poema como las ilustraciones (y eso que no me gusta adular en lo absoluto). Gracias por los libros, no te imaginas las ancias con los que los espero! haha.
Saludos compadre, gracias por compartir eso que lleva dentro.
Un abrazo.

Process Junkie said...

Hey, thanks for the comments Scott, Stef & Mr. Woka

Que la pases bonito en las fiestas de fin de año.

IrisOn said...

holy God, you are amazing. I finally found you on tnis blog stuff

MBKKR said...

keeps getting better and better.
It makes me want to read on and on and on...

Process Junkie said...

MBKKR: Thanks, man! I really love that last painting of yours.

Irison: Glad you pop by. Nice blog yourself!

IrisOn said...

Are you kidding me, Im honored. I hope you dont mind me adding you