Friday, December 16, 2005

The Year In Review

Xmas


My best wishes to all of you out there, as these over commercialized holidays are upon us. I am going to take a break from the blog until the 26th, the scribblettes will continue non-stop on a daily basis, now allow me to reflect on this past year and what lies ahead. (I smell a long tirade coming)

This has been an amazing year for me in more ways than one. If self expression is the ultimate goal of any artist, this blog is my broadcast station for that expression, to the world outside of my filthy basement. Ideally the artist does what he/she does for his/her own fulfillment and personal growth but can always benefit from having a receptive audience, I remain extremely grateful for your patronage and attention, you are the best audience I could ever hope to have because most of you are artists or art students. I have already made my resolution for 2006, that is to draw more and to enjoy life, music and art to the fullest without hurting myself or others in the process, not an easy task let me assure you.

Thank you once more for buying the books, for visiting me at the conventions, for reading my stupid rants and for looking at my dooddles here, on this blog. Being an independent artist is very rewarding but never easy; to be able to open my big mouth and say: "Fuck you, I'm doing what I want" is a beautiful thing that comes at a cost, (as anything worth owning does) I'm the furthest thing from a martyr, I don't suffer for my art enough, but people connected to me sometimes have to endure unnecessary crap. It would stand to reason that everyone with half an original thought should be allowed the freedom to create on his/her own terms and to share his/her creations with the world but society has different plans, the younger you are, the harder it is to "do what you want" and make an honest living from it, don't be discouraged though, this may sound like an old cliché because it is, you may need to suck on the corporate tit, that is understandable, I will never begrudge anybody for procuring a better life for themselves but do take care of your personal projects as well, don't neglect the stuff that you feel passionate about, don't let them classify you and label you this or the other, if you seek artistic independence be prepared to pay the cost that financial independence unjustly demands of you, don't become a fanboy, a celebrity watcher, make ART the celebrity, make ART your supreme reality, set aside time to do what you truly want, explore, take pride and rejoice in the fact that you are an ARTIST, you are different than the average Joe, you've been given the greatest gift of all: to be able to see and experience things in a different way, YOUR WAY. (end of rant)

Have a fantastic and prosperous new year, and for god's sake sketch daily, it's good for you!

Feliz Navidad a todos y a todos, buenas noches.


Abrazos,
-Alberto

25 comments:

Bebe_Vilain said...

Merry, "cost to dame much to be Joyly" Christmas....

Process Junkie said...

Merry Xmas to you too, Bebe_Villain.

-A

Mike Feeney said...

Feliz Navidad Alberto..believe it or not, meeting you and talking to you was the highlight of my year. My resolution for the coming year is to take all that you told me and to make it reality. you are a great artist and a good man.
Feliz Año Nuevo,
Mike Feeney

UrbanBarbarian said...

Geez! This one goes in the favorite folder! Awesome.

The Original Dangster said...

Dang dude have a good holiday.If I was one of the wisemen, I'd bring Jesus a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon for his birthday..None of this Frankenscence and Myrr shit.

If you ever come up to the great Northwest for any conventions,drop the Kickass Artist Clan a line, and we'll go see some nekkids!

Ho Ho Ho!

Process Junkie said...

Mike Feeney: Thanks Mike, you're not too bad yourself :) The advice was not free though, next time I'm in Boston I will need a place to stay ;)

UrbanBarbarian: Is that what you call the "Trash" ? LOL! if you like 'em so much why don't you buy the books and help me feed my 7 hungry children :D
BTW:Great thing you've got going on there with the "Drink & Draw" next time I'm in town I'll stop by and join you guys...but please make sure there's plenty of Corona in the fridge.

The Original Dangster: I'm with you on that one, good ol' PBR does the trick just fine. Myrr is highly overrated anyway.

Thanks for the invite, but honestly, if I ever set foot on that god forsaken land I'll bring an Uzi and wipe out all of ya inbreds.

Happy Ho to you too, Dangman!

-A

Howard Shum said...

Right on, Alberto! Merry Christmas!

Process Junkie said...

Merry Xmas Howard!

Bobby Chiu said...

Merry Christmas to you too!

Stef said...

Merry Xmas and Happy new year Alberto!

Process Junkie said...

Merry Xmas and happy new year to you both, gentlemen!

John Beatty said...

Hey A!

Looks like the T-Shirts are arriving today according to the UPS tracking I just did!

WOW...that's kool!

Let me know how you like them!

-JB
Loving your new blog project too!

Ale said...

Hey Junkie!
Your womens are super hot!
I really love what you do with line and forms.
Absolutely unique.
Thank you.
and thank you for passing by my blog too, I really appreciate it.
Merry Christmass!

Process Junkie said...

The fuckin' UPS guy shows up at 4 pm, I went to bed at 3:30 so I missed him but the shirts are here, they look great!! thanks John!! the gray shirts are out of this world!!

Process Junkie said...

Thank you Ale! Merry Xmas to you too, me loves them dry brush drawings of yours, I've never thought I would develop strong feelings for a black chair but I have. :)

-A

The Hen said...

Sing it brother... (raise a corona) "to the artist who blazes their own path!" Merry christmas my friend

John Beatty said...

I agree, Alberto...when those gray shirts were coming off the dryer...I was thinking to myself...

Damn...that is a kool looking shirt!

Like I told ya...you might have a line of clothing to put out next year!

Get some pics of them up when you can!

Patrick Morgan said...

Merry Christmas my friend. Here's to a fantastic new year for all of us.

cheers

Allan L. said...

Merry Christmas to you, Alberto! Yo...that goes out to everyone that hangs out here, too.
Your work is crazy inspirational to me, and I hope it rubs off on me for the new year. Take care!!

Process Junkie said...

Patrick Morgan: Call me stupid but I have the feeling 2006 is going to be an even bigger year for our "little" community of animators/comic artist/illustrators, it seems we all know each other by now and the circle keeps getting wider and wider, I for one, am loving every second of this blog craze, I have seen more awe-inspiring, fresh and new art this year than ever. Even fuckin' Oscar Grillo has his own blog!!! how fuckin' cool is that?

Ya all Be prepared for more art goodness as many more introvert artists are joining the blogging community. The future of the internet is free content, baby! that's the way it ought to be, I predict a huge renaissance of 2-D animation and traditional illustration, ironically enough, riding on the back of the digital horse. Ya Gotta Love it!!


The Hen: Merry Xmas to you too, The Hen.
I'll be raising my ice-cold Corona bottle (after I rub it on my nipples) and I will have a cold one on you!
PS Tell your girlfriend not to be so needy this year ;)

Allan: have yourself a super Xmas, pal! Thanks for supporting this blog from the get-go, I truly appreciate it.

BigGuy: Yeah, dude, they are really nice, I'm thinking of having more designs printed. Can't thank you enough for your help, a check is on the way.

-A

Sandra Khoo said...

Merry Christmax Alberto! ^^ Keep on ranting and raving all u want, just keep on posting,yea? ')

Sanvi said...

Wow! Increible, Alberto.
Merry Christmas and happy new Year!!!

PEPE said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!
Fantastic work bro!!

Anonymous said...

FelizNavidad my friend, Feliznavidad..........Lou

Process Junkie said...

Sandrita my Love, Pepe, Sanvi, Lou: Feliz Navidad to you guys too!! Lou I will see you in a few weeks, stay healthy, my friends!!

-A